While winter seems like it’s already been around for far too long, its influence on our heating bill is only beginning. Achieving low energy costs during the coldest months of the year can be challenging, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to potentially lower those costs. That’s why we’ve come up with a few furnace tips to help keep soaring heating bills at bay.
To start controlling your heating bills and enhancing your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open during the warmest parts of the day to let sunlight in, heating your home naturally.
- Sealing cracks and crevices around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Adding a programmable thermostat so that you can better control the temperature in your home, which will also improve energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter regularly.
- Inspecting your heating vents to make sure they are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if you’ve had your current furnace for more than 15 years.
- Adding insulation to your attic to keep the heat trapped inside.
- Checking your roof to ensure your shingles are intact, and that there aren’t holes or cracks that will need to be sealed.
Trying to keep your energy bills to a minimum and energy efficiency at a maximum, is a year-round battle, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t take a few small steps to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions related to the tips above or questions about how you can lower your heating bills, give us a call at 715-318-6728. Our experts are here to help ensure your home is comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Ellsworth weather.