On average, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Contingent on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, whether or not you have pets, and how regularly your air filter has been swapped out, to name a handful—you may adjust your air duct cleaning
more or less often. So, how can you tell for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are definitely some significant signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns caked with dust or pet hair?
- Is there a blockage within your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers blowing out dust?
- When you gaze inside with a flashlight, can you see a buildup of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents made a home in your ductwork?
- Can you hear clatter other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have a smaller amount of airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s more than likely time to ask Walter's-Eaton's Electric, Plumbing, Heating & AC in Ellsworth about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are a few things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and prolong the timeline between professional cleanings.
Mostly importantly, schedule annual HVAC maintenance with the experts at Walter's-Eaton's Electric, Plumbing, Heating & AC. A maintenance check of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should comprise of inspection, and possible replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system running efficiently, and will help keep your ducts clean.
You can also talk to the team at Walter's-Eaton's Electric, Plumbing, Heating & AC about installing an air purification system. We provide the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other actions you can take include:
- Frequently dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Checking your air filters regularly and exchanging them when the manufacturer recommends exchanging them. Most filters will present dust on them after a brief stint in service, but they may not need replacement.
- Sealing leaks in air ducts that let dust to enter from areas like your attic.
- Exchanging poor or broken air-duct insulation.
With a professional air duct cleaning and some preventive measures, you can help keep the air in your Ellsworth home clean and healthy. Give the experts at Walter's-Eaton's Electric, Plumbing, Heating & AC a call at 715-318-6728.