Whether you like winter or prefer the warmer months in Ellsworth, a lot of us make adjustments to be sure our home’s temperature keeps us cozy. This can have a huge impact on your energy bills, but there are steps you can take to bring monthly costs down.
- Assess the weather stripping – Over time, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to find any drafts that should be addressed.
- Make use of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be useful in keeping your home warm. Keep them open while the sun is still shining throughout the day, and make sure to close them at night, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter routinely to see if it must be changed. We advocate at least once every three months, but that period of time can vary from house to house.
- Install a programmable thermostat – Programmable thermostats may seem like just a convenient way to make sure your home keeps warm, but programmable thermostats can also save you money! You can arrange temperatures to be cooler when you are away from the home or sleeping. Being more mindful of efficiency will help with heating costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Take a look and see if you have an adequate amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a powerful tool to reduce the chances of heat escaping.
- Call for routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs a little attention, too. Hiring experts to clean and maintain your system will verify that your system is working effectively and efficiently. They can also catch small issues that could end up as more expensive repairs if neglected.
- Assess your HVAC system – If it seems like your monthly heating costs are continually increasing—even with your efforts to increase efficiency—it might be time to purchase a replacement heating system. The professionals at Walter's-Eaton's Electric, Plumbing, Heating & AC can help you examine the performance of your HVAC system and walk through your options for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps reduce the amount of money you are putting toward your energy costs, but many of them can help your heating system work more efficiently. More efficient energy use also supports the health of your equipment, which means a longer life for your HVAC system.
If you need routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide additional information on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Walter's-Eaton's Electric, Plumbing, Heating & AC in Ellsworth a call to get started. You can reach us at 715-318-6728 or schedule an appointment with us online.