You’re in the middle of the coldest week of winter and you wake up shaking in a pile of blankets in bed. The first thought to go through your head is, “Why in the world has my furnace not kicked on?” Of course, you don’t want to leave yourself in a predicament like this where it feels like you’re predestined to suffer until morning to arrange furnace repair, but there are a few things you can check, as well as a couple things you can do, to stay ahead of the game and prep for a predicament like this.
Before You Experience Problems:
- Furnace service. Cold nights and furnace repair can’t always be avoided, but having annual furnace service completed can help you avert a chilly situation.
- Gather supplies. Set aside some room in a closet, drawer or another easily accessible area for blankets, a space heater, gloves, hats and any number of other accessories to keep you warmed up while your furnace isn’t working. It could seem annoying or unnecessary now, but it will come in handy when you need it most.
After You Suspect Your Furnace Quit Operating:
- Check the circuit breaker. There’s a chance that the breaker to your furnace could have been tripped by a power surge or for a different reason. If this is the case, switch the breaker back on and you may be set. If the breaker is turned off and you have flipped it back on but your furnace still isn’t working, give us a call to set up an appointment for furnace repair.
- Add layers and get cozy. That handful of supplies we recommended above will come in handy here. Layers can help you retain body heat so you can stay warm while waiting for your pro. Also, try to find an activity to do to keep your blood pumping, as increased activity can help keep you cozy.
- Stay safe. Employing something other than your furnace to heat your home can pose possible danger depending on the method you’re choosing. It’s important to remember to never choose heating methods created for outdoor use – i.e. kerosene heaters, grills, or any other carbon monoxide producing methods. If you need to use an alternate method, electric space heaters, fireplaces or wood stoves are your go-tos.
No one wants to deal with furnace repair in the middle of winter after their furnace has quit running, but the possibility is real if you don’t take the correct steps. Give the experts at Walter's-Eaton's Electric, Plumbing, Heating & AC a call at 715-318-6728 if you have any questions about these tips, the furnace repair services offered or any other number of heating questions.